Sunday, March 22, 2009

Biased

Starting off on a positive note, I hate religion. I hate nationality. I hate racism. And I hate castes and tribes and all that other trivial stuff. I clearly sound like an antipathetical teenager here, but hate IS a strong word and I DO mean to use it. The aversion builds up, and this is what it leads to altogether.

Religion was never an issue until some whack job out there made it one. There WAS once a time when the world chose to live like newborn civilized apes. No blood spilt, no heads tossed around, nothing. It’s all been blown out of proportion to such a magnitude that these days, we need to be forced into religion. I for one am only 16, and if I react now, it’s not helping anyone. I’m bi-lingual, and I hate “celebrating” a new year. I feel brainwashed when spoken to in opposition from either side against the opposite religions in my family. I listen, that is all I can do, but each time I feel like just walking away. We go to temples only when we need something, or when we have a feast to celebrate. Oh, joy. You know that phrase, “god is in each and everyone of us”? Yeah, that as clearly something Nehru wrote one day on paper and gobbled it down so no one can find out. I feel anger bursting through my seams when I have to visit a temple, be a devotee, and pray in the religion governed there. No, I’m not proud to be bi-lingual. I’m instead waiting to turn 18 so that I can finally throw the truth in your faces, because it is too painful for me.

And nationality. I elaborate on this one, since I see too many heads fuming up on that line. Explain to me how a kid born in a state in America to Indian parents, living as an American there, having an American passport, driving license, school/college education, etc. is considered Indian? I was recently watching a famous American music show (American Idol to all those with the question marks on their heads), and there was this one guy who was born to Indians (I explained above. I am NOT repeating). Now my dad joined me as I watched, and much to my irritation, he was all happy and proud that an INDIAN made it through to the next round. Oh my. What pride he brings to the nation, doesn’t he? The end of the story is that this guy is going to celebrate his win or loss, where? In America. Will he come down to India just to celebrate his appearance on the show? Of course not. He was born there, and has never seen India, then why come? So here comes my question…is he, after all this, still considered an INDIAN we should be proud of? Finally, is he even Indian? That’s the weirdest part about the world, isn’t it? You feel pride for something that has never seen its truth. Sure, your chest swells when Sania Mirza hits a Grand Slam. That IS India winning. Yes, our chest swells when we hear the national anthem and feel patriotic. But what is left to feel patriotic about?

These are just tags given to us to distinguish us from the others. I’m Indian, you’re Dutch, he’s Australian. But I honestly feel no sense of pride coming in when I say this. All I hear is me declaring the name of the nation that I was born in. period. No pride. No chest swelling. Just the urge to strip myself of the biased rules.

This was just an honest opinion. Anyone wanting to disagree is free to do so. I’ll still be friends with you. And I’ll still readily bitchslap you when you go all giddy headed on me at any point of time.

No comments: